When selling cars, how do you get paid safely, anyway?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a lot of not so nice people looking to buy cars these days. Especially if their high dollar sales. Especially if the individual/individuals come to your home, dealing in cash is a risky deal. If your a gun toter, no worry, but for the rest of us, a transaction at the bank is a safer bet. We live in a scary world these days, wish it wasn't so, but theirs so many scammers out there, you know why individuals trade their cars/trucks in at a dealership or equivalent. I've helped friend's try to sell car's in the past, I got so many wacky scammers trying to get the vehicle. They get easier to spot, but not always. Remember if it looks too good to be true, you know the rest!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a savings account with five bucks in it, for transactions such as these. I provide that account number to the buyer, allowing him to deposit the agreed sale price into my account from his bank. Once I determine the buyers funds are securely deposited into my account, I hand him the signed title and the keys.
I've done this numerous times, with no issues.
Easy-peasy, japaneasy.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have done both cash and had them meet me during business hours at my bank so the check can immediately be verified.
I also bring guns and at least one buddy with more guns.

When doing cash I bring a detection pen and a small UV light.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget about cash, transfers, checks. Bank issued cashiers check is the best, it’s verified funds by the bank and go deposit it straight away.

When you go purchase a cashiers check at the bank they will not give it to you unless they can secure the funds from your account. I bought both my Expeditions with a cashiers check. It’s your most secure and simple option.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also a bonus: I’ve used cashiers checks as a bargaining tool with dealers. I know what I want to pay if it appears in good condition after a fast look. I get the check from the bank in that amount and bring the check to the dealer/ seller when it comes time to talk business. Take it or leave it....it’s like cash sitting in their face, often times they’ll take it.

Just know the party you are dealing with is sound. Always ask around, and do your research.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that's a Kentucky thing?

I do the same when I sell or go look at a car but Ohio is close to Kentucky. Lol

Everyone must remember that a fake cashiers check can be so good the bank doesn't know it's a fake.
Lots of info about this if you research.

Not to scare anyone but there is NO perfect safe way when it's between to private people.

Going to the bank with them and watching them get the check and handing it to you is pretty safe BUT if a scammer wanted to scam someone, they could have a fake check and swap it out after getting a a real one and simply deposit the real one later into own or another account.

They wouldn't meet you at their "real" bank but would tell you it was the regular one they use.

They would have an account there but even an account could be new or a set up too for bod purposes.
They could have gotten cashiers checks there before so know exactly how to make a perfect fake.
Change one account number and it's no good and they could be gone and only the dead account left the next day and it could even be under an alias.

When a bank issues a cashiers check USUALLY they take the money out of the persons account and put that amount on the check so that check would be good.
You might not be at the window with them so they might get a much smaller check...then they hand you the fake or even if you are right there in the shuffle of title etc...they swap the fake for the real.
The bank is probably not going to be your bank so you don't have account there.
Most people would deposit the check at their bank later that day of the next.
They saw them get the check so they assume it's good.

If you are going to try to cash the check there at their bank...why not get cash in the first place?? You have to leave with large sums on you.
The bank should not be able to cash or deposit to another account holders account a fake cashiers check from their own bank BUT not a guarantee.
Some of these things will go right through until it goes downtown to the proof department and not until the next day at earliest will it get kicked out or returned.
But If they take the check and hand you money and you leave....if you are not a customer...I don't think they can do anything to get you to give money back (they have insurance for things like this) but once again...IF you are going to have cash in hand from cashing check, what was point of check??

Lot's of ways to scam or rob people.
------
Always tell others where you are going and give them all the info you have in case you show up missing so they can tell police what was going on.

Always go with others or another person and having CCW gun or guns helps too.

Have two copies of bill of sale that has details of sale.

When selling it is best to meet in public place. They don't need to know where you live. Best to not have your current address on title on states that have that (most do) -use work or other property if you have one.
When buying don't let them see anything with your address on it.
A person could come back or have someone come and steal back a car they just sold you.
They would have the extra key!!

People car jack people at meets to show and buy cars so be aware. If you have a tracker or other family member with you or extra cell phone with Lookout or other lost locator on it, LEAVE it in hidden in console or glove box or trunk until you sell car in case they take off and steel it so you can tell cops where they are.

If you accept money as wire transfer or Western Union etc -gasp- big red flag today! MAKE absolutely sure the bank says there is NO WAY for any money to be withdrawn after you empty it out if a scammer tries.
NEVER pay any third party for a buyer like shipper, inspector etc. No one really overpays for a car and lets you do this.
They can do it themselves if they want the car.
NEVER be desperate to sell or buy....mistakes get made!

Get title put in your name as soon as you get it!!!

All I can think of now.

FUNNY thing is I have broken two of these rules and did not get burned but it was 2004 and 2007 before the scams were running wild.

I wired a guy 3500 western union to hold a car. I had already had a 3 way phone call with him and the finance company he owed and I dialed the company so I felt it was legit and heard the amount of the payoff etc and the legal name.
They are tight lipped on the phone but if the account holder is on the line too they will confirm things you ask them.

I would have been pissed if I lost the 3500 but it wouldn't have broken me at the time.
This was a 37,500 purchase and he owed a little over 19K.
I was going to meet him at his bank do the deal and get bill of sale and give check for finance company and have the other 15K in cash.
He told me NO CASH. I though that odd. Most people love cash.
He said he couldn't take that much cash. So I had one cashiers check to finance co and one to him.
Finance co was in another state so they mailed me the title after the released the lien.
All a little risky but no problems at all.

I sold a 1947 Fire truck to Joop Stolze in Amsterdan Holland (he has a website and lots of cars) in 2004 and he wired me the money and added shipping I paid the shipper (only truck to east coast so about $1000) BUT STILL A BIG NO NO.

He told me he would wire money to send check or whatever I wanted and I could wait as long as I wanted to ship it to make sure I was satisfied that sale was legit. Just tell him where and when to have it picked up to go on the boat.
You can look on his web site and see in in one of his storage buildings. Last I looked it was buried under dust and lawn chairs and in much worse cond that when I sold it to him...but I got paid and all went well.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that's a Kentucky thing?

Likely more of a self preservation kind of thing. I am not originally from Kentucky and I’ve always had the understanding that others at time want to harm others especially when large amounts of money are involved.

If you don’t think you’ll need a gun take a pistol. If you think you’ll need a gun take a rifle and friends with more rifles. That or just don’t go.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Likely more of a self preservation kind of thing. I am not originally from Kentucky and I’ve always had the understanding that others at time want to harm others especially when large amounts of money are involved.

If you don’t think you’ll need a gun take a pistol. If you think you’ll need a gun take a rifle and friends with more rifles. That or just don’t go.

Oh yeah

Rifle gonna be SUPER useful against potential craigslist scammers, especially at handshake/testdrive range

And if they ain't scammers but actual paying customers? Two rednecks with rifles gonna be a great sales pitch for a vehicle

....downside? It might be construed as extortion or armed robbery