Catch-can question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Positive Crankcase Ventilation burns contaminates in the engine. Vapors like oil, fuel, and water in the crankcase are sent back to be burned. The carburetor (remember those?) or port injection sprays fuel and this vapor onto the intake valves where the fuel (a powerful solvent) serves to keep the backs of the intake valves clean. Direct injection sprays it directly into the cylinder and the contaminates in the intake air can build up on the backs of the intake valves. A catch can filters out much of this contamination which reduces valve deposits.

Your 5.4 uses port injection making a catch can unnecessary. The EcoBoost engines started out with port injection and changed to direct injection for better engine management. The valve deposits started at this time causing "The sky is falling!" videos on the internet. The new Expedition 3.5 EB engines (2018?) use a combination of direct and port injection making a catch can unnecessary. The F150 got the dual injection engine a year or two before our Expeditions.

I'm not convinced these deposits will cause catastrophic engine damage but am hedging the bet with the LHT catch can. The crap that's in there every time can't be good.

My catch can was literally full of oil with a smattering of watery liquid on the bottom. When I dumped the can several months ago the liquid looked like chocolate milk, it was very watery.

I installed a dual catch can system on my little S2000 (port injection) engine out of curiosity and in two years have not needed to empty it. Only remains on the car because (1) I'm too lazy to deplumb it and (2) all the cool kids have them. :)

-- Chuck

Last edited:

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is usually tight when I go to empty it. I have a small strap wrench I use.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Positive Crankcase Ventilation burns contaminates in the engine. Vapors like oil, fuel, and water in the crankcase are sent back to be burned. The carburetor (remember those?) or port injection sprays fuel and this vapor onto the intake valves where the fuel (a powerful solvent) serves to keep the backs of the intake valves clean. Direct injection sprays it directly into the cylinder and the contaminates in the intake air can build up on the backs of the intake valves. A catch can filters out much of this contamination which reduces valve deposits.

Your 5.4 uses port injection making a catch can unnecessary. The EcoBoost engines started out with port injection and changed to direct injection for better engine management. The valve deposits started at this time causing "The sky is falling!" videos on the internet. The new Expedition 3.5 EB engines (2018?) use a combination of direct and port injection making a catch can unnecessary. The F150 got the dual injection engine a year or two before our Expeditions.

I'm not convinced these deposits will cause catastrophic engine damage but am hedging the bet with the LHT catch can. The crap that's in there every time can't be good.

My catch can was literally full of oil with a smattering of watery liquid on the bottom. When I dumped the can several months ago the liquid looked like chocolate milk, it was very watery.

I installed a dual catch can system on my little S2000 (port injection) engine out of curiosity and in two years have not needed to empty it. Only remains on the car because (1) I'm too lazy to deplumb it and (2) all the cool kids have them. :)

-- Chuck
There is still a benefit for a catch can on the 2018 and up Ecoboosts and that is the intercooler. The addition of port injection does help wash the intake valves but does nothing for stopping the intercooler from getting oil logged.The port injected naturally aspirated 5.4 (no turbo no intercooler) doesn’t have as much need for catch cans as the Ecoboosts. Then again people without cans can do induction flushes and drill and drain intercoolers when needed also. I choose having a catch can.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation...very well done.

I have a 1953 GM PD 4104 with a 6-71 Detroit, and we run "slobber tubes" out of the airbox to drain cans (2) to catch blow by oil and what ever else might be good to get out of the box ahead of the blower (2 cycle engine). My catch cans are two plastic coffee cans hanging on bungees behind the rear bumper. Pretty high tech, eh? They work...

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First any engine with a PCV system will benefit with a catch can. Second yes the JLT can be difficult to unscrew if tightened too tightly. I empty mine every 1000-1500 miles and only tighten the can until the O ring just seals...comes off easy and no vacuum leaks.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First any engine with a PCV system will benefit with a catch can. Second yes the JLT can be difficult to unscrew if tightened too tightly. I empty mine every 1000-1500 miles and only tighten the can until the O ring just seals...comes off easy and no vacuum leaks.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else getting tired of emptying the little 3oz can? Well I just ordered the 6oz can for mine. It should hopefully last in between oil changes. Especially since I'm lucky to get 3k before needing a oil change.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else getting tired of emptying the little 3oz can? Well I just ordered the 6oz can for mine. It should hopefully last in between oil changes. Especially since I'm lucky to get 3k before needing a oil change.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
You should only need to empty it twice between oil changes. I do 5000-7000 mile FS oil changes and only empty it halfway through and then the day I change the oil. Anything more than that is excessive