"Limited slip differential reduced torque"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting this message often on my screen. Any thoughts? I have the HD tow package with the 3.73 gears and limited slip rear end. I am not on slippery conditions or accelerating when this happens. Just got this 2018 a week ago with <20,000 miles. Traded in my '09 Eddie Bauer

ExpyWeave

Reaction score
I am getting this message on and off also, during various driving conditions. Dealer could not find a cause, just told me to keep "silencing" the message. I have 2018 Platinum with tow package and 4WD.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am getting this message on and off also, during various driving conditions. Dealer could not find a cause, just told me to keep "silencing" the message. I have 2018 Platinum with tow package and 4WD.

Dealer is giving you a line. This is not normal. I have almost 20k miles on mine and have never gotten this error message.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The number one LSD issue by far is the wrong fluid being put in. I would consider taking it to another dealer and asking them about it.
Makes you wonder if the OP's Expy tried to ford some water that was too deep before he bought it and it got some water in the rear diff.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That error is displayed when the vehicle thinks there is something out of place between the sizes of the two rear tires. For example, if you were running a spare that was smaller than the other side, it would/could display that. So, if your tires are the same size, and both aired up to the same pressure (not sure if a low tire pressure would be enough to cause this) then I would suspect it is a bad wheel/abs sensor or whatever sensor they are using to match the two sides. Basically, it thinks one tire is turning at a different rate than the other. Again, a bad sensor, a bad connection, bad wiring. Now days, with all the sensors they have to see it happening to get their computer to pull the code to tell them which sensor is malfunctioning. I still don't know why these auto manufacturers don't program in the system to log all faults and errors. Even if they just held all faults for a few days it would be very helpful.

I don't see this damaging anything on your expy, it is just limiting the diff from locking up as much as it could. I would want it fixed but I wouldn't be worried something major is wrong. I think a chat with another dealer would be worth it.

OP
OP
RustyOval

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am taking my Expy in to the dealer the Friday after Christmas. I mentioned this message to the service manager who has always been very good with me and he did not seem familar with the message.

All tires are the same.

My new concern is when the truck is in 4 wheel drive of any type it grinds and scrapes like crazy, almost as if all four wheels are locked in only worse. I personally think there is a transfer case issue. Luckily it is still under warranty so I am hoping for a simple resolution, but I am not optimistic.