Panoramic Moon Roof..Good idea or asking for trouble?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rx7gslse

Reaction score
I enjoy having it as well... but don't use it much right now being summer in TX and all...

One dumb question - Is there a way to double press the close button to get the shade to close completely at once? I push it once to close the rear section, wait for it to finish, then press it again to close the front. 1st world problems ;)

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No scratches or dents! We were towing our airstream and I was also concerned about its solar panels, but we were fine all around.

Ha! We also tow an Airstream. We don't have roof mounted solar panels but are thinking of adding them. My thought was that the solar panels are probably more hail resistant than the aluminum roof- and definitely cheaper to replace!

(are you on Airforums?)

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having a black interior, I love the added light that it offers. I rarely ever open the glass, but the cover is almost never closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having a black interior, I love the added light that it offers. I rarely ever open the glass, but the cover is almost never closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See, I'm the opposite, I hate light shining in on the vehicle, because it reflects off the back side of my glasses and creates a glare. Just me...... I love the jet black dark interior as no light gets behind my glasses!

montcopo

Reaction score
I really dislike glass sunroofs. It is just one more way for thieves to break into your vehicle. I had mine broken in when parked at the Philadelphia zoo. My kids duffel bag and video game cartridges stolen. We were headed out on vacation. I was lucky they did not steal my suitcases. Probably too heavy to carry away

Reaction score
I have one on my 19 Limited and can say I like it which is odd because normally I hate them. I had a 16 F250 4x4 TD that had one that leaked and ended up getting purchased back by Ford because they could not seal it. I purchased a 2017 F250 FX4 TD and made sure it didn't have one. With the very stiff suspension and the large expanse on the roof of the pickups I do not think they are a good idea. However, with the Expeditions, especially the ones with the CCV, I think they would do okay since the suspension is much softer. That said, I have 11K on mine and have not had any issues with it what-so-ever. I am sure I just cursed myself now and the damn thing will rattle, leak and get stuck to the point I will come back here and cuss myself out.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/A6hC8RA4pO0

This is a good start. I found that by venting and opening the sunroof, I could get to almost all of the sealing surfaces. I cleaned/greased all the way around the glass and the opposite surfaces. Each position provides access to different seals.

Lubing it solved rattling issues with my sunroof.
Hello,

Can you suggest which grease/lube you have used with good results. Considering that any sticky residue would be a magnet for dust and grime build up.

The grease mentioned in one of the TSBU as KRYTOX GPL-205 GPL205 is kind of expensive and hard to find.

Any alternatives that you - or anyone else may suggest for cleaning / lubing the rails for the panoramic roof to overcome the rattle. Although i only have the slightest of it in 2020 XLT, which becomes noticeable on uneven/bumpy surfaces.

Thanks

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the Krytox and while it did work for a while, it collected a lot of grime on it. I switched back to using a silicone spray lubricant. I leave the sunroof closed and spray all along the seals on the roof using the straw. It seeps in around the seals and quiets things down for a couple of months. I get a lot of rattling/squeaking from the fixed glass panel too, not just the moving glass panel, so I lubricate both.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate mine, its just another thing to break and I feel its a safety issue if we get into a roll over crash. I'd much rather count on a sheet of crappy steel over my head than a sheet of glass that's gonna shatter.
I leave mine closed and the sun shade closed at all times. I've never open it once.... You can't get the premium models WITHOUT it.
Yup, they are a pia all around. So effin' hot now I wouldn't think of opening it. They are just a money maker for ford