Raptor Steering Wheel Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmer

Reaction score
@DWa-TTEB has a good suggestion.

The other is FORSCAN. These have Electrically controlled steering. I know there is a process to adjust steering wheel position on other Fords. I did it on my Edge. It was also off Center despite driving perfectly straight. Way more than yours. Haven’t tried anything like that on these...but the theory is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The steering wheel on my 2020 shorty is titled about 5 degrees to the left at 5k miles (at about 830 and 230 instead of 9 and 3). Such a small thing but really bugs me sitting behind the wheel on long trips. Did anyone ever find a remedy to the situation? I dont mind paying the $100 for an alignment if that fixes the issue; my knowledge is pretty limited but since the wheel "auto centers" itself crooked, and the vehicle drives perfectly straight with my hands off the wheel at that (off) centered location, my thinking is the alignment is fine but the steering wheel is just off somehow?

I remember reading somewhere on here that the electronic steering has some sort of learning functionality that takes a bit to "re-learn" after the battery is disconnected. I'm going to try that tonight and see if maybe that electronic reset will bring it back to where it should be.

Will report back on that but in the mean time if anyone found a solution, or if an alignment will take care of the issue, any input would be appreciated!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An alignment on mine fixed the wheel center issue. Technically its one of several things they do during an alignment, so even if the other stuff is fine, they can still straighten the wheel. They actually did mine at no cost, as I told them the same things you did, and there were no obvious signs of impact or anything else, so the dealer took care of it. I wouldn't mess with the Forscan stuff.

Jimmer

Reaction score
An alignment on mine fixed the wheel center issue. Technically its one of several things they do during an alignment, so even if the other stuff is fine, they can still straighten the wheel. They actually did mine at no cost, as I told them the same things you did, and there were no obvious signs of impact or anything else, so the dealer took care of it. I wouldn't mess with the Forscan stuff.

Awesome, exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
I installed one yesterday which I need to take out and switch wiring and front bezel with the buttons from one steering wheel to another as there are different functions on both. Didn’t notice that until I tried all the buttons and some where doing other functions from another button. Once I do that I’ll take it for a spin and see if it’s straight. Unlike others that disconnected the battery, I did not. I just let it sit for like a half hour to make sure nothing was still on. I’ve done that with all my vehicles with no issues of the airbag going off.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed one yesterday which I need to take out and switch wiring and front bezel with the buttons from one steering wheel to another as there are different functions on both. Didn’t notice that until I tried all the buttons and some where doing other functions from another button. Once I do that I’ll take it for a spin and see if it’s straight. Unlike others that disconnected the battery, I did not. I just let it sit for like a half hour to make sure nothing was still on. I’ve done that with all my vehicles with no issues of the airbag going off.

I hear ya, but that's pretty risky. I'd say why not disconnect the battery? Takes me 20 seconds to reset a few options. I've personally seen what happens to someone when that bag accidentally goes off, nearly killed an alarm installer as he was working just below the steering wheel when he hit one of the yellow wrapped sets of wires with the wrong type of tester. But I'm glad you managed to do it safely. The number of times I took mine apart to try and straighten it (when really I should have just got an alignment), the risk was just too high. Not to mention replacing an airbag that is probably over a grand...

Reaction score
Just a follow up. I installed the wheel and went for a drive. As others have mentioned it is about 2 degrees off to the right. As I’m like most it bothers me, so I did some tests from the stock to this wheel. When installed both wheels there is play from right to left before tightening the wheel with the center bolt. I’m guessing like everyone when we tighten the bolt the wheel pulls right unless you have someone helping you. Since I noticed the play before tightening again I moved the steering wheel as far left as I could do by myself when tightening the bolt. That seemed to fix the wheel 99.5%. To get it dead straight on you need another person just to move the steering wheel a tad more to the left.

hope that helps

Hannah121107

Reaction score
This was a very simple and straightforward install and I’m 90-95% satisfied with the results. It was essentially plug and play as all the wiring was present and all I had to do was move the trim and switches from the original to the Raptor wheel. I’m really not a fan of the red stripe so I’m still deciding if I’m going to modify the original wheel to fit the Raptor shift paddles, have the Raptor wheel reupholstered with the tops and bottoms from the original wheel or leave the red stripe and add touches of red to the interior so it has something to tie in with the rest of the interior.

View attachment 23847 View attachment 23848
Could you possibly let me know what else is needed for this install? And where you bought them from? Would be super helpful. I want to do this mod.

Thank you

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question to everyone with this wheel and the paddles set up - do you have to press the “M” button on the center console shift knob to begin using the paddles to shift or can you shift just directly with the paddles at anytime? Thanks in advance!

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question to everyone with this wheel and the paddles set up - do you have to press the “M” button on the center console shift knob to begin using the paddles to shift or can you shift just directly with the paddles at anytime? Thanks in advance!
Pressing the M is the only way to use it as a manual shift.

Without pressing the M, you can press the downshift paddle to lock out gears. For example while on my road trip to Colorado passing through the mountains, on long downhill stretches I downshifted to 6th or 7th to prevent the transmission from going to any higher gears so I didn't pick up too much speed.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On mine I can use the paddles anytime. I don't think I've pressed the M button since I put the paddles on. It may be a confusion of terms, but anytime I'm driving I can down/up shift. As TheDoug stated, I use them all the time to engine brake in the mountains, but even at a stop light for example, I just use the downshift paddle to start the truck off in first, then nail the upshift paddle to go into 2nd, 3rd, etc. Never once hitting the M button. I hate the design and placement of the M and +/- buttons, which is why I did the paddles. I use them a ton in the mountains.

The placement of the buttons seems more like a checkbox, hoping that soccer moms driving these big things will essentially never use them. All the arguments about can't use half the radios features while driving (preventing you from taking your eyes off the road) but the awkward buttons by the center console are soooo much safer.