The "Auto Stop-Start" is so annoying!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
This button turns off the auto start/stop feature:

upload_2018-1-3_10-42-55.png

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2016 Audi S7 had the same button and once pressed, it stayed off all the time. My wife's Q5 Hybrid offers no such option, but it can pull away from the light under electric power and kick on the engine as needed.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2016 Audi S7 had the same button and once pressed, it stayed off all the time. My wife's Q5 Hybrid offers no such option, but it can pull away from the light under electric power and kick on the engine as needed.
The hybrids ability to move with the electric motor makes the auto off/on feature acceptable to me. If the vehicle has only one power source to move with I feel like shutting it off in the middle of a trip is just dangerous.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
The hybrids ability to move with the electric motor makes the auto off/on feature acceptable to me. If the vehicle has only one power source to move with I feel like shutting it off in the middle of a trip is just dangerous.

It's all about the collective goal for fleet wide MPG average... I think there is a government mandate for all manufacturers to have a fleetwide efficiency average of 20 MPG or over...

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if the engine was on, by time the threat or danger was noticed, it would be too late anyway. No matter how strong the engine, the ability for the car to move the vehicle that fast from a stand still, esp a behicle the size of the expy makes the argument that its insafe with it off pretty much mute.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the auto manufacturers have a mandate on mileage but not in how they achieve it. In addition of course Mr. Trump will likely cut back on emissions goals for manufactures soon as he has done other emissions, right or wrong.
As to what difference it makes if the engine is running and can it evacuate the vehicle from an intersection quick enough, I guess you could compare that to gee, no point in ducking if some thug takes a shot at you, that bullet is SOO fast...

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess you could compare that to gee, no point in ducking if some thug takes a shot at you, that bullet is SOO fast...

You absolutely could, because by the time you hear the shot, the bullet has already hit its mark. :p If you can hear the shot and duck, he missed.

If you are in a situation where you need engine power so quickly that it can't provide it after quickly restarting (because it does restart very quickly) then it's highly unlikely you would react quickly enough to avoid the emergency anyway.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am sure most vehicles with STOP/START work acceptably when new, otherwise they would never sell any to even the dumbest buyer. The issue is when they get some age and wear and tear on them.
Neither the auto manufacturers nor the auto media have run long term real world tests and documented maintenance costs and before and after elapsed time to successfully start the vehicle moving and to measure fuel economy with all accessories including air conditioning on with both the START/STOP defeated and enabled.
As customers we are left with weak marketing assurances by poorly trained and informed salespeople who seem to know less than the average customer....
For all I know, it is a good system, but the manufacturers have a track record of letting the customers do the testing and something new like STOP/START because it has safety implications should have been tested and documented completely and it has not been, so any informed customer would ask all these questions.
Curious why did you ask the BMW dealer to defeat the STOP/START system if you did not dislike it?

Last edited:

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dad drives a 2013 Mercedes with it and it’s got ~75k miles with no issues.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me. I wish my 2012 had it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad drives a 2013 Mercedes with it and it’s got ~75k miles with no issues.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me. I wish my 2012 had it.

Almost time for a new starter.... 75 k is no impressive test