The "Auto Stop-Start" is so annoying!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flexpedition:
Funny on this forum of what can go wrong with Detroit "Better Ideas" you mention Air Bags BLOWING UP! My 2008 Lincoln MKZ sedan got a recall from Ford in July of 2016 due to the Takata air bag igniter (oops sorry inflator). Basically this first letter let me know there was a problem and that Ford was working diligently to get me parts to fix it. Speeding forward to late 2017, Ford sends me another letter saying they would be willing to fix my inflator with exactly the same defective parts they used when they assembled this car in 2008 which they would send to my closest dealer to install so Ford can run a test and prove that the inflator will not inflate all on its own (I threw that letter in the garbage as the last thing I want is some dealership messing with an inflator they were not familiar with and me waiting 10 years for Ford to complete their test and a report (this car already has 125K on it).
Then last week I get yet another letter from Ford warning me sternly that I must not allow anyone to sit in the MKZ passenger seat because it may inflate/ignite (my alternate wording) and after two years Ford still has no clue when they might bless me with parts, but of course they insist Ford is doing everything it can to supply parts, but of course they cannot give a date when that blessed event might occur.....(something about elephants mating, you remember it goes on at a very high level and for a long time)
I have called the FOMOCO generator of these letters several times to express my extreme displeasure with Ford's inaction and impotence, rendering this car effectively worthless (in any trade in or sale) and of some concern in our family's safety!!
As a footnote, anyone on this blog who wonders why I am such an idiot for questioning the safety of STOP/START systems and their probable maintenance costs should take this ongoing example of the finest in customer problem handling as one of my numerous reasons for asking simple questions of the manufacturers about what they claim.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a permanent way to turn this off?

Stop start can permanently be disable with FORScan. In the BdyCM, change the second digit in block 726-48-02 to x0xx xxxx xxxx and no more annoying stop start. I can do this modification for anyone in the Chicago area.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also check YouTube, if there is a way as on the last gen F150's it will be on there!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, but unless they started making starters and Batteries substantially stronger in the past few years, theirs going to be a lot of warranty claims over the next few years, not to mention all the out of pocket forum members will fork out, once the warranty is through. Metallurgy and battery construction hasn't changed that much to be able to cope with starting 20 times or more per driving trip. Not to mention wear on flywheel teeth, and wiring. Well time will tell.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, but unless they started making starters and Batteries substantially stronger in the past few years, theirs going to be a lot of warranty claims over the next few years, not to mention all the out of pocket forum members will fork out, once the warranty is through. Metallurgy and battery construction hasn't changed that much to be able to cope with starting 20 times or more per driving trip. Not to mention wear on flywheel teeth, and wiring. Well time will tell.

My dads buddy is a “failure engineer” for GM. These companies are spending millions upon millions of dollars to make sure parts only last out of warranty and then break. His job is to make sure parts fail. This engineering is getting more and more prominent on modern vehicles to make them more disposable. It’s no secret it’s to sell parts right out of warranty.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty amazing these companies spend millions of dollars, and hundreds of hours just to piss off the customer, but they do. Classic example is the issues with the timing set, tensioners and assorted failures on 2nd and 3rd gen models, just so they sell you on new and improved parts. What amazes me is how many of us buy these vehicles used knowing their hand grenades waiting to blow. Ain't it amazing how much we love these 3 ton tank's that we put up with all this. Like I said before, if it wasn't for all the issues, this would be a boring and quiet forum. Wonder what old Henry Ford would say about all these issues, if he had his way we'd be driving modern versions of the model T!

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dads buddy is a “failure engineer” for GM. These companies are spending millions upon millions of dollars to make sure parts only last out of warranty and then break. His job is to make sure parts fail. This engineering is getting more and more prominent on modern vehicles to make them more disposable. It’s no secret it’s to sell parts right out of warranty.
This was a motivator for us to buy an extended warranty and maintenance plan.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty amazing these companies spend millions of dollars, and hundreds of hours just to piss off the customer, but they do. Classic example is the issues with the timing set, tensioners and assorted failures on 2nd and 3rd gen models, just so they sell you on new and improved parts. What amazes me is how many of us buy these vehicles used knowing their hand grenades waiting to blow. Ain't it amazing how much we love these 3 ton tank's that we put up with all this. Like I said before, if it wasn't for all the issues, this would be a boring and quiet forum. Wonder what old Henry Ford would say about all these issues, if he had his way we'd be driving modern versions of the model T!

Not just the tanks, but everything. If anything we get away with the most because they are based on truck platforms. A lot of planned obsolescence that is designed in is thought to be “poor planning” or “poor design” , yeah okaaaayyyyy