The "Auto Stop-Start" is so annoying!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You absolutely could, because by the time you hear the shot, the bullet has already hit its mark. :p If you can hear the shot and duck, he missed.

If you are in a situation where you need engine power so quickly that it can't provide it after quickly restarting (because it does restart very quickly) then it's highly unlikely you would react quickly enough to avoid the emergency anyway.

1 second is an eternity in that situation... all I’m sayin

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This button turns off the auto start/stop feature:

View attachment 23042

I have that same button in my X5, nut I went in after owning for a week and the dealer permanently turned off the feature. The button resets after every engine start.
Almost time for a new starter.... 75 k is no impressive test

Just curious why you think every car needs a new starter at 70-90k mi? Has this been the case for you?

I have yet to replace a starter on any car, including ‘85 Cherokee, 87 Subaru, 93 Sentra on and on. All had well over 100k when they left my possession.

The above example of the MB may not be impressive, but it is the only reference point he has and he is trying to contribute to the conversation when you do the math at 10-15 k miles it is typical for where the car should be.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that same button in my X5, nut I went in after owning for a week and the dealer permanently turned off the feature. The button resets after every engine start.

Just curious why you think every car needs a new starter at 70-90k mi? Has this been the case for you?

I have yet to replace a starter on any car, including ‘85 Cherokee, 87 Subaru, 93 Sentra on and on. All had well over 100k when they left my possession.

The above example of the MB may not be impressive, but it is the only reference point he has and he is trying to contribute to the conversation when you do the math at 10-15 k miles it is typical for where the car should be.

Not every car, just cars with auto start stop.

Kevink109

Reaction score
Not every car, just cars with auto start stop.
Who knows how this will work out with the 2018 Expy- but I have a Fusion Energi w/ start stop and have over 130k miles on her with no issue with the start stop feature. Also have a camry hybrid with same feature that I gave to my mom- it has 145k no issues. Granted smaller 4cyl but hopefully the technology is fleshed out enough to be reliable long term

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, the older cars you referenced would not have had STOP/START. The higher maintenance in starters and batteries is simply a matter of math. If you have 10X or 100X the normal number of start cycles, mechanical and electrical components wear out more quickly. Because the auto manufacturers have done a pitiful job of documenting how these systems were tested if at all and any design improvements they might or might not have made, customers have to take it on blind faith they will not be stuck with a series of big repair bills or put in a dangerous situation when and if the START/STOP system fails to allow for a rapid evacuation of an intersection in an emergency.
BMW at that point in time reportedly had told its dealers than anyone objecting to it or disliking the system could permanently defeat it as they were afraid of losing customers.
The proper direction for the manufacturers would been to have launched a positive campaign (if indeed any long term test results were) and to put at least a 150K warranty on all STOP/START components. The manufacturers however did not, taking a seemingly "let them eat cake" attitude toward their customers.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I'm glad my grandparents finally warmed up to the idea of driving a vehicle with airbags. You know those things blow up all the time.

LOL My grandfather just recently stopped ripping efi components off of his cars for carburetors.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad my grandparents finally warmed up to the idea of driving a vehicle with airbags. You know those things blow up all the time.

Please.... tell me how start stop adds safety to my vehicle.... go on.

Glad my grandparents warmed up to non serviceable transmissions and thin body panels and overall lower quality construction.

Last edited:

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Yep... He had no use for a computerized engine.