This forum is talking me out of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP Dye

Reaction score
Good it should. Worst car I have ever owned. I have driven only Expeditions since 1999. I own a 2018 limited.
I would dump it but it’s value has been cut in half since purchase. I do not believe I can afford to maintain this car as the miles add up.

ssmock

Reaction score
Few people take to time to comment about no problems with these new vehicles, most forms are used to ***** about something. First Expy I've ever had and love the truck. I have a 2014 Limited Edition 4x4 with towing package. Bought it in 2015 with 23,000 miles, love the ride and extra space. Now have 100K miles and the only major thing that went wrong has been a cracked manifold which was under the extended Ford ESP warranty. That happened towing a aluminum car trailer (6,000lbs total) over the Rockies. Averaged 8 to 9 mpg towing this rig and around 14 mpg regular around town commuting. Gets a little better on a highway trip. Regular maintenance is I change the oil every 5,000 mile, one set of tires since new. Last month I rented a 2020 Tahoe Denali extended version for a week. After the newness wore off I still liked the Expedition better and the wife said our truck had a much better ride quality. Now since I am bragging on it and my extended warranty has run out the wheels will most likely fall off. I would still buy another one.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good it should. Worst car I have ever owned. I have driven only Expeditions since 1999. I own a 2018 limited.
I would dump it but it’s value has been cut in half since purchase. I do not believe I can afford to maintain this car as the miles add up.
Any details you would like to share? And what you have had to pay for out-of-pocket that wasn't covered by warranty?

(If you have shared this info elsewhere and I have missed it, I apologize)

3DogRanch

Reaction score
Guess what, it was -1 F on Friday with 9" of snow. I was one of the only people that was able to make it into the office before the roads were plowed. Heated seats and steering wheel worked great and the snow setting on the drive mode worked flawlessly. Very happy with my purchase and would do it again without hesitation. I've had zero problems and haven't even been back to the dealer in the 8 months I've owned it. Coming up on my first oil change soon.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More I read about trans issues, shocks, cam phasers, and the dvd being subpar, it just makes me not want to drop the coin on this. I already have a junky van people swore was good.

I don’t even know what I want now. GM stuff isn’t known for reliability and I’ve watched family get burned by them. The Toyota offering is outdated and doesn’t seem to have the space in back I want.
Just a frustrating situation.
You have a legitimate concern except it applies to pretty much every new vehicle except for maybe the Yaris or a bicycle. The complexity of modern vehicles is mind numbing. All of them are reliable till they aren’t lol. All I can suggest if your buying new don’t buy a decade old technology like DVD players.

Negotiate your purchase price!! Use price negotiation tools!! Truecar.com etc.

Any Transmission over 5 gears will elicit complaints from people. They all will by design skip gears, occasionally they’ll get caught stumbling for a gear due to throttle inputs vs speeds that don’t play nice with the computer logic. Which case nothing wrong they just a transmission moment to sort out the gear.

Warranty! Shop around for a good one at a fair price. Never pay over $1000 for a basic 100k warranty!!! Never pay over $2000 for a 6-8yr 100-150,000 mile top self warranty!

Last of all research your dealers! After 20yrs of Subarus the current parts quality issues and our local dealers being WAY WAY over market rates for basic stuff I said no more Subarus.
I bought the Expedition 2019 Platinum because the 3.5 is long established its not new. 5 local dealers are all independently owned and are market rate on typical services. Last of all its 100% modern technology not a decade old. My only bummer? A plugin hybrid was my ultimate want but I couldn’t wait that long to replace my 2006 Sequoia

Last edited:

mhExped

Reaction score
I've owned my '18 Limited for just over a year now. Have just over 16.5k miles on it.

Have had more than a handful of issues/complaints...Clicking side mirrors, stuck liftgate button, hands-free liftgate that's out to hurt me, random nav screen reboots/hangs, broken Active Park Assist, rough shifting, clunk/rattle in moonroof, backup collision assist that displays car approaching from opposite side it's actually coming from, rear camera stuck on while driving forward down the highway (that's dizzying :) ) and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting at the moment.

A couple issues have already been fixed under warranty. Still working on the others. The broken Active Park Assist is downright dangerous (and already led to one minor fender bender when backing up) and the rough-shifting is worrisome for the long run. However, nothing on the (somewhat long?) list has struck a nerve in me (yet) to think, "I wish we hadn't bought this car." To the contrary, I still think it was a solid purchase all things considered. And, I've viewed these initial bugs/quirks all within the realm of "expected" after such a major model overhaul.

I am, however, mildly shocked to read some of the comments above where owners are reporting absolutely ZERO issues. Kinda befuddles me how there could be so much variance from one car to the next. With all the little issues I've had across so many different systems/functions of such a complex verhicle, I'd have assumed EVERY car (especially for the first couple model years) would have at least a handful of quirks over the first couple years.

I'm truly envious of those with absolutely zero issues/complaints/concerns. To those owners I say, "Play the lottery!" ;-)

johnmc

Reaction score
I am planning on replacing my 2008 Expedition (35K miles) with a Toyota Highlander or a Honda Pilot. ABS just went out going down the road. little to no brakes. We put in dual master cylinders in the late 60s to avoid this. Now Ford, the EPA, and the Gov have brought back total brake failure. For 67 yrs I have driven only Fords. Not anymore. I saw that Ford lost $1.7B last quarter. Decline in reliability, escalation in cost, and not giving the customers what they want (normally aspirated 5L Expedition). Whats wrong with these people.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More I read about trans issues, shocks, cam phasers, and the dvd being subpar, it just makes me not want to drop the coin on this. I already have a junky van people swore was good.

I don’t even know what I want now. GM stuff isn’t known for reliability and I’ve watched family get burned by them. The Toyota offering is outdated and doesn’t seem to have the space in back I want.
Just a frustrating situation.

Curent generation Expedition is the best full-size SUV on the market today along with the Navigator. Just look at any editorial sources and their reviews. Every vehicle has a few problems. The only real competitor is the current generation Suburban/Tahoe/Escalade, and believe me, they are NOT a good value. You're welcome to wait for the 2021 Sububran to come out, but you're in for a bit of wait.

I don't consider the Armada/Sequoia comparable as they don't offer extended wheelbase versions, which leaves their trunks good for a few bags and nothing more.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curent generation Expedition is the best full-size SUV on the market today along with the Navigator. Just look at any editorial sources and their reviews. Every vehicle has a few problems. The only real competitor is the current generation Suburban/Tahoe/Escalade, and believe me, they are NOT a good value. You're welcome to wait for the 2021 Sububran to come out, but you're in for a bit of wait.

I don't consider the Armada/Sequoia comparable as they don't offer extended wheelbase versions, which leaves their trunks good for a few bags and nothing more.

Agree with above but the Armada and Sequoia as with the current GMs is that they are all a generation (or two) behind. Ford is losing money because the entire industry is slowing (more reliable cars in general and a slowing economy for a majority of Americans). They also gave up on all their car sales due to them being stale compared to their competitors... These trucks are their bread and butter. Previous experience holds 0 bearing on an entirely new platform. Dealer experience however is a major factor. Its honestly more important than the vehicle itself. A buddy of mine bought the new RDX and had issues buying the thing. Now he is stuck with a horrid service department and is regretting the decision. Either way, good luck on your new purchase!