How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tennford

Reaction score
I change oil after every trip. 5-7000 miles per trip. I do it myself. Motorcraft oil filters and Valvoline 5w30 full synthetic. Change fuel pumps every Christmas so that doesn’t happen on the road.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2004 XLT / 5.4L (2 valve) / 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio / (4X4 w/AdvanceTrac) / Heavy Duty Towing / Dual Air-Conditioning
Mileage: 388,703
These vehicles will last several years as long as their required maintenance is kept up (i.e., engine & transmission oil & filter changes, engine coolant change, etc).
Typically, they just need wear and tear items changed out (i.e., tires, wipers, battery, etc).
If you keep up their maintenance they will easily give you 25 plus years of good service.
I greatly enjoy using this vehicle because it has rear independent suspension, it is safe, it can comfortably seat up to 8 adults, it can easily go off-road and it can tow more than 6,000 pounds and I am saving the monthly payments of a new Expedition.
I expect my 2004 XLT to go beyond 500,000 miles before it retires.

wow! I'm very encouraged to hear that. I bought an 04 police package last year with just under 100k on it; it sounds identical to yours but for the advance track - mine has an LSD in the rear. It was a county truck until then, so it's gotten fairly regular maintenance. I did have to do a bit of work on it - brakes, front UCA, some wiring, vacuum controls, etc. I intend to upgrade it with slightly taller tires (34") and an SCT tuner, followed eventually by better suspension components, such as Bilsteins; then shorty headers (true duals - it's got duals all the way back to the muffler now; I assume that's part of the police package) and such. Most of what i have planned for it focuses on durability, range, etc.
your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
jg

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
update - the front suspension has been repaired with HD moog components, the wiring and vacuum issues are resolved, the larger tires are installed (33.8") Nittos, the brakes are fixed, I got the tuner (reviews posted elsewhere; generally a waste of money so far in large part of because of awful factory support.)
more to follow.