Oil catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So at the risk of opening a nasty stinky can of worms, I know Jacob seems to have really great success with his one sided can setup. I’ve been digging through online forum posts and videos for months now trying to determine definitively whether a dual can or single can setup is necessary. I’m with Jacob in that if the single can is all that’s needed, it’s a waste of $$ to spend twice the money for a dual setup. But I can’t find any solid data in my feeble searching that can swing the scale either way for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
So at the risk of opening a nasty stinky can of worms, I know Jacob seems to have really great success with his one sided can setup. I’ve been digging through online forum posts and videos for months now trying to determine definitively whether a dual can or single can setup is necessary. I’m with Jacob in that if the single can is all that’s needed, it’s a waste of $$ to spend twice the money for a dual setup. But I can’t find any solid data in my feeble searching that can swing the scale either way for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A lot of the guys over at f150 swear by the passenger side can. I went with the passenger side only because out of the three MAP sensors, that manifold one was the filthiest. No buildup on the IAT MAP sensor or the one on the throttle body so that was my proof I needed that only one side was needed. Plus the guys at JLT said that some other ford models benefit from dual cans while others are not needed. Honestly, installing one on driver side and seeing oil collected would be the best proof. Not sure if anyone here has done a driver side can yet for an ecoboost Ex

old codger

Reaction score
Looking at this topic on catch cans it seems as though only one on the passenger side is needed and the JLT brand would do the trick. Does this come with the bracket and 17limitedexpy pic shows the system mounted. Also, will the hoses reach on the above install.

old codger

Reaction score
Sorry, should have included this question on previous post. The link to stage 3 shows the catch can setup for an F-150, I presume it is the same part number or am I wrong? Thanks!

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Sorry, should have included this question on previous post. The link to stage 3 shows the catch can setup for an F-150, I presume it is the same part number or am I wrong? Thanks!
Same pet number. Box I got mine in days it’s for f150 3.5L. Here’s how I set mine up. It comes preconnected and the hose fitting was so tight I wasn’t going to risk breaking anything to angle the hose on the right side of the can back to fit better so I just moved the whole assembly901E08B3-0AFC-4AF6-9895-476F18800FF2.jpeg

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it finally came today. Looks to be made well and even came with a thread tap for fittings... that was a nice surprise 95B9252E-C5E2-4146-9A31-79D9F2D6DE3B.jpeg

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I was wrong about was I thought the can unscrewed but it doesn’t. The guy at RXP did tell me it has stainless steel media inside. Probably a shaving mesh of some sort . I can’t hear any rattle when I shake it. So this means I do have to mount it where I can drain it or unhook the whole can assembly and bench drain it

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
One thing I was wrong about was I thought the can unscrewed but it doesn’t. The guy at RXP did tell me it has stainless steel media inside. Probably a shaving mesh of some sort . I can’t hear any rattle when I shake it. So this means I do have to mount it where I can drain it or unhook the whole can assembly and bench drain it
Makuloco did a video on the UPR I think and he had to mount it to the front of the radiator. Looked like a pain with all the modifications he had to do and the amount of crap he had to take off to get it installed like body panels, supports, etc. good luck man!

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Makuloco did a video on the UPR I think and he had to mount it to the front of the radiator. Looked like a pain with all the modifications he had to do and the amount of crap he had to take off to get it installed like body panels, supports, etc. good luck man!
Yeah I’m sure it’s may take a little time. When the guy at RXP offered a free install he said they would need 2hrs. I’ll be fine, I was talking with my good friend about the kit and he said he wanted to help with the installs because he hasn’t done one yet. He and I use to both work together as Ford technicians at a Ford dealer back in the 80’s. Since then I’ve put down the wrenches for a nail gun and went back to work for my family’s construction company which my brother and l now own together. So my old wrench buddy (who’s still turning them) will drink some beers and get them done. We are going to install the kit on my cousins F150 at the same time also. I might have to slow Johnny down as he is an amazing flat rate mechanic.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't limit yourself to the supplied drain hose length. Hose is cheap. All you need is access to the drain pet **** and run the hose to a convenient bottom location. Although, the longer the drain hose, the longer it will drip after draining. You could cap the end of the drain hose to stop the dripping.