Oil maintenance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How did you source other comparable filter sizes?

I’m not wanting to sit at my local automotive parts store opening boxes and comparing.

Or maybe I do....

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's right, I've seen the Jeep guys do it....just be careful if your mounts allow movement....supposedly, that's the 'watchword" on doing it. There are usually cross-sizing sheets referencing the size/thread. I've seen them for other stuff so I'm guessing they are out there for oil filters too?

I got 365,000 out of a Chevette by changing the oil/filter every time it got dark, regardless of mileage...

jeff

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'd be changing dealer service locations based on the BS "3000 mile oil change" your dealer is recommending. 3000-mile oil changes went out in the 1950s about the time full flow oil filters were fitted. And doesn't Kendall have a two finger logo indicating it was good for a whopping 2000 miles going back to the 1920s or 30s?

-- Chuck

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I got 365,000 out of a Chevette by changing the oil/filter every time it got dark, regardless of mileage...
Hardly scientific. :) I kept a stuffed Jackalope in my Expedition and got 10 years and over 170,000 miles with it and it was still running fine when I sold it. Yep it was the Jackalope.

-- Chuck

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardly scientific. :) I kept a stuffed Jackalope in my Expedition and got 10 years and over 170,000 miles with it and it was still running fine when I sold it. Yep it was the Jackalope.

-- Chuck

Maybe the stuffed jackalope changed your oil at night when you slept?

Plati

Reaction score
Talking about oil brings all kinds of feelings to the surface.
The debates that will always be ... up for grabs:
- Ginger or Maryanne
- Packers or Cowboys
- SkiDoo or Polaris
- Sausage or Pepperoni
- Regular or Premium
- Chevy or Ford
- Bud Light or Coors Light
- Sunday River or Sugarloaf
- New York or LA
- Conventional or Synthetic
- Oil Change interval

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score

-- Chuck
In all fairness, it was actually scientific. He constructed a hypothesis and ran a controlled experiment then evaluated the results against the hypothesis.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/science-fair/steps-of-the-scientific-method

However, I agree that this is an expensive gamble.
Well, maybe not with a 55HP Chevette.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He asked how I found a larger oil filter for my old rig. I told him. I don’t think waiting so long to change oil on the ecoboost is a good idea so I would not recommend even worrying about a larger oil filter on these trucks. Just change it at a good recommended schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: