The "Auto Stop-Start" is so annoying!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plugged in my 2016 to a scanner. No a/c just idling will consume 0.5 gallon of gasoline for every hour of idling the 3.5 ecoboost. Where I am it can easily take 30-45 minutes to go just 3 miles so It would make sense to have engine cut-off. Places where it takes 3 minutes to go 3 miles? Turn that feature off.

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to argue, but I think in my case, the fuel savings was more like 0.1 gpm difference.

It all depends on your driving cycle. At present I understand the car companies receive "credits" by having this feature on the vehicle. (I my mind better than a gas guzzler tax) On the European Drive Cycle Test that has more stop and go than the US City Cycle test, 5% is generally achieved with start stop stop. While this may be annoying reset your MPG at fill up, turn it off and watch your MPG drop when you sit in stopped traffic. So if you average 15 MPG city and you gain 5% MPG, you can perhaps get an extra 20 miles of range

Easiest way to turn of is three clicks to the right of the drive mode button, I no longer have to even look to get in sport mode in city traffic, then perhaps limit the transmission to 6th or 7th max. for some spirited city driving

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That Autostop Eliminator looks promising. That said, I did the software hack on mine. And it does not have to be disabled, my switch still works, just the auto start/stop is now off by default when the vehicle is turned on. Can still press the switch to turn on/off at will. If I were looking for a solution now, I would give this product a try. As they rightly point out, tampering with the vehicle software can be a warranty issue.

I've played with it quite a bit in the 8 months I've owned my Expy. It's very annoying and is not smooth like it should be, or often is in smaller cars. However it's quick and does not really effect driving much if at all. And yes, it actually does make a noticeable MPG difference under the right conditions. I've found that situations where constant stop-go like construction zones, parking lots, school drop-off/pick-up, etc.. the autostop is more of a nuisance and is actually detrimental at times if the stops are frequent. Likewise on highway driving, road trips, etc.. it's of no real use. City driving, slow and go, California normal, urban rush-hour type stuff, it makes a lot of sense.

There are actually no laws in the US or Canada that require this auto stop system. However, there are requirements for efficiency, MPG, emissions, etc.. and manufacturers are graded on a points system across their entire fleet of offerings. Systems like this can boost MPG under ideal conditions and help score points in favor of being efficient.

Too bad the switch can't remember the desired setting without a mod. We have two other cars with auto stop and one can be enabled/disabled at a toggle switch. The other the default state of on/off is set in the display menu. Also frustrating that the Expy doesn't remember drive modes... We had a '14 Explorer that was the same... Various drive modes and no memory when the car was turned off.

OP
OP
R

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would install the eliminator but I am afraid of scratching or denting the dash trying to get the piece out. It looks difficult even for the installer in the video.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used FORScan to turn my AS/S off. It’s been to the dealership three times since for other tech issues. The dealership does not care. You are not “tampering” you are setting the default for AS/S to off. It is an option available. Now if you were downloading a high performance tune that damaged the engine....problem.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you'd like an engineered solution for auto start-stop that maintains button functionality, check out the Autostop Eliminator. Min
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

I’m not sure but I don’t THINK that will work on the platinum/Ltd Expi. The button in the installation video is wide, it takes up that whole button hole. But in mine there are two buttons in that hole, one for ASS and the other for...I don’t remember. It looks like the eliminator device is designed for the wider button. But maybe I’m looking at it wrong.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expy models like the Platinum or the Ltds with the 360 camera have a two-button group of ASS on the left and Camera on the right. They have one to support this configuration that is available to pre-order. And, according to the site, should be shipping in the next couple weeks.

I pre-ordered one to test it out. As mentioned above, I already changed my default to off but we're going to play with it on a friend's. We both have Ltds with the 360 camera.

marcel

Reaction score
The Expy models like the Platinum or the Ltds with the 360 camera have a two-button group of ASS on the left and Camera on the right. They have one to support this configuration that is available to pre-order. And, according to the site, should be shipping in the next couple weeks.

I pre-ordered one to test it out. As mentioned above, I already changed my default to off but we're going to play with it on a friend's. We both have Ltds with the 360 camera.
that's correct, they 3 different versions, seems like a pita to install in the video but you can take a look at autovlog youtube channel where the guy installs one on a raptor, doesn't really look that much of a problem

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire