Upgrade towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't seen that anyone has added an additional transcooler on their expedition.
Using the factory cooler works and all of the brackets and hoses are readily available. The factory cooler mounts in front of radiator and condenser and is plumbed in series with the trans cooler in the radiator.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don’t all 4th gen Expeditions come with an integrated transmission cooler? I’m pretty certain the HD towing package only gets you an upgraded radiator which cools both engine and transmission...

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow have different rear springs than the standard tow? I noticed on parts.ford.com that they are the same part number for each configuration (5560), but the prices are different. I noticed when I ordered some other things that the real part numbers are 11 characters long. The description also notes one is for the "Standard trailer tow prep package". The other is for the "Heavy Duty Trailer Towing"

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/suspension/chassis-parts/spring-coil-6607913-1

pittsy

Reaction score
I tow an 8,000lb boat, but only a few times a year when I put it on the trailer and the ramp to the house is 1.8 miles. I don't have the HD tow package but no issues for these short trips.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like the 3.73 gets a different rear end and heavier axle. But I dont see anything about suspension differences. Weight distributing hitch max 930lbs which is the logical 10% tongue weight deal. But weight distribution hitches are a bit goofy given they lever that weight forward so its not like your setting 930lbs on the ball.

My take is 600lbs on the ball still gives the stock suspension acceptable spring rates etc. After that ideally Ford is expecting WD hitch systems to help balance the front to back load.

Rick Fossen

Reaction score
As already noted, a brake controller. You can have the Ford OEM one fitted. Of course, you'll be using a proper weight distribution hitch. Changing gear ratio and adding the bigger radiator is an expense which probably exceeds the cost of the HD towing package. While you say you are at max capacity, it is designed to tow that.

Actual results? I've seen videos, even with HD package of overheating engines, and videos without the tow package working just fine with a heavy load.

My trailer is at around 5500lbs. Not towed it, yet, but don't expect any issues on a non HD XLT.

Bumping this thread. Does anyone have real time experience with there Gen4 Expy without tow package pulling a travel trailer? I have a 19 Max Limited 4x4 without HDT. I installed a OEM brake controller but nothing else. Will I have any issues with a 5025# (Dry) travel trailer with a hitch weight of 499# (Dry)? Obviously there will be some added weight for camping gear.

I know I CAN pull it, but looking for some input from anyone who HAS pulled something similar without HDT. Thanks!

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking at a travel trailer that is 5700 lbs, so good with the weight, BUT the hitch weight is 715 lbs.
View attachment 34548

Is that dry weight or the trailer's max weight? And if it's dry, exactly how dry- do they include LP tanks and other things in the weight?

Our Airstream has a max weight of 7300 lbs, but fully loaded for travel it weighs about 6600. Unfortunately the only real way to know these things is to get the TV and trailer on a scale.