Upgrade towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bumping this thread. Does anyone have real time experience with there Gen4 Expy without tow package pulling a travel trailer? I have a 19 Max Limited 4x4 without HDT. I installed a OEM brake controller but nothing else. Will I have any issues with a 5025# (Dry) travel trailer with a hitch weight of 499# (Dry)? Obviously there will be some added weight for camping gear.

I know I CAN pull it, but looking for some input from anyone who HAS pulled something similar without HDT. Thanks!
I have towed around 5500lbs. Not long distances, less around 50 miles on several trips. I have sumo springs, while not necessary for a properly setup WDH, it seemed to help with both level and ride. There's plenty of power, relatively speaking. I didn't look at the temperatures, though, of the transmission.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will I have any issues with a 5025# (Dry) travel trailer with a hitch weight of 499# (Dry)?

Is that dry weight or the trailer's max weight? And if it's dry, exactly how dry- do they include LP tanks and other things in the weight?

Our Airstream has a max weight of 7300 lbs, but fully loaded for travel it weighs about 6600. Unfortunately the only real way to know these things is to get the TV and trailer on a scale.

To add to this, batteries too - a group 27 flooded 12v weighs up to 80lbs each. Factor in propane tanks (x2), and your cargo (camp chairs, coleman stove, 1lb tanks, kids toys, bikes, clothes, toiletries, tools, wood blocks, bedding, electrical equipment, water equipment, sewer equipment, axes, food, ice, beer, coolers, etc) and your "dry" weight suddenly balloons up.

They say to leave a 20% buffer from your vehicle max towing weight, which starting at 6000lb would leave you 4800lb. You need a smaller trailer.

MTShooter

Reaction score
Reviving this thread again. @Rick Fossen, have you now had any experience towing your travel trailer? Any issues? I'm looking at trading my '15 Ex EL for the same vehicle as you, a '19 Max Limited w/o HD tow package. I mostly only tow a boat that's about 5k wet w/ trailer, and mostly short distances, but we've talked about possibly getting a travel trailer in the near future and want to leave my options open. We do live in a fairly mountainous area, but I don't/wouldn't tow all that often and wouldn't be looking anything pushing much, if at all, past the 6k lb rated limit. I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience towing near or slightly over the 6k lb mark without any "noticeable" issues. I realize the concern may be longer term, stress on the engine/trans, etc.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just buy a HD Tow package equipped Expedition. Better to tow under capacity than at or over under ALL circumstances. Safety, legality, all of that is in play.

MTShooter

Reaction score
Just buy a HD Tow package equipped Expedition. Better to tow under capacity than at or over under ALL circumstances. Safety, legality, all of that is in play.

I appreciate the response and understand the sentiment. I wish I could find a comparable one anywhere close with the tow package. I've looked high and far, and to give you a general idea, there are a grand total of 8 used Max listings w/ 4WD regardless of mileage within 250 miles of me for under $60k, and 3 of those are rebuilt titles. For any more than that, I'd just order new (which I may still), but I have a second vehicle that I'm looking to trade in as well as the current Expy and this particular dealership has given me a very enticing trade in value for the combination of the two towards this new Expy. That offer could/would change by the time I was able to take delivery on a new one.

It's really just a shame they'd even spec/produce these without the HD tow package for being only a $795 add on...though as @Barry Smith said in the linked post at the beginning of this thread, I guess there's some advantage to the 3.31 when not towing, ie. fuel economy?

hughes022

Reaction score
We have a 2019 XLT Max, non HD tow, 2WD. We added the sumo springs and the OEM brake controller, activated it w/ Forscan and have had zero issues. I have WD hitch that's setup to keep both the Expy and trailer level. Our TT is a 2018 Keystone Passport 2890RL. Never tow with more than a few gallons in the freshwater tank (for quick stop emergencies) and we are nowhere near the max load for the trailer. The first trip we made with the Expy was a 750 mile trip each way from FL to MO. I watched the trans temp from time to time, and it never got out of spec, and really only raised up by a minimal amount vs no trailer. Stopped at a CAT scale on the way up, and on the way back (wanted to check Christmas gift differences lol!) and we were about 5780 on the way up, and 6100 on the way back, and managed to move weight off the rear axle to front axle of the Expy on the way back, which may have been a difference in how the trailer was loaded. Never experienced any sway problems, or anything uncomfortable whatsoever. We'll be taking it to GA next month, so much shorter trip.

MTShooter

Reaction score
We have a 2019 XLT Max, non HD tow, 2WD. We added the sumo springs and the OEM brake controller, activated it w/ Forscan and have had zero issues. I have WD hitch that's setup to keep both the Expy and trailer level. Our TT is a 2018 Keystone Passport 2890RL. Never tow with more than a few gallons in the freshwater tank (for quick stop emergencies) and we are nowhere near the max load for the trailer. The first trip we made with the Expy was a 750 mile trip each way from FL to MO. I watched the trans temp from time to time, and it never got out of spec, and really only raised up by a minimal amount vs no trailer. Stopped at a CAT scale on the way up, and on the way back (wanted to check Christmas gift differences lol!) and we were about 5780 on the way up, and 6100 on the way back, and managed to move weight off the rear axle to front axle of the Expy on the way back, which may have been a difference in how the trailer was loaded. Never experienced any sway problems, or anything uncomfortable whatsoever. We'll be taking it to GA next month, so much shorter trip.

Thank you very much! That is exactly the type of info I was looking for, very helpful. I should be just fine without the tow package, but will certainly add the towing upgrades you mentioned if we end up with a travel trailer down the road.

hughes022

Reaction score
I have a 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost as well, with the heavy tow package. When we were shopping for the camper, I was shopping for one that would work with BOTH vehicles. I did a ton of comparing the two versions of the towing packages of the Expy to make sure we were making the right move. I feel very comfortable pulling the trailer with the Expy. The payload numbers on both our trucks are very similar, but the axle weight on the Expedition is another number to definitely pay attention to when looking at tongue weights.

Glad I could help! I always liked when others on the forum offer up their real-world numbers and experiences, so I feel I should chime in any time I can actually be the one to help!