Upgrade towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tripinbillie

Reaction score
My door sticker (2019 max 4x4 HD tow package says:
GVWR 7720#
FRONT GAWR 3550#
REAR GAWR 4380#

Curb weight (all fluids for normal operation and 90% full of fuel, so 27 gallons) is 5794#

Leaves you with 1926# payload in the expy.

It'll get eaten up in a hurry towing a TT for a camping trip!

FWIW, my camper has 1680# in payload. If I filled water tank full, I'd be right near max for sure...
Need to hit the cat scales to know for sure. That'll be in the spring here...
I’d be surprised if your payload was 1926. What’s the yellow sticker say? Thats the actual payload from factory.

For the OP, Expedition’s will run out of Payload before trailer weight. You have to consider what is added to the Expedition and any persons, animals, or items added in your payload calculation. The yellow sticker on the Drivers side has the factory payload number. That only includes full tank of gas, nothing else.

I have an 2019 XLT, with 1670 Payload. I tow a TT thats empty weight was 5050 when purchased. Trailer is about 850 of that. With family, dog, gear, WDH, etc, I only have about 100 pound of payload left.

Last edited:

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How you load things matter... One option is load the trailer with as much gear as possible. and towards the middle/rear of the trailer is best. Keeps weight off the tongue yet balanced.

A trailer brake controller is an absolute must. No questions asked, before the cooling etc. You could get a dedicated transcooler and that would work better than the factory one (if it is built into the radiator.) You could also look into upgrading the intercooler which cools the air going into the engine.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How you load things matter... One option is load the trailer with as much gear as possible. and towards the middle/rear of the trailer is best. Keeps weight off the tongue yet balanced.

A trailer brake controller is an absolute must. No questions asked, before the cooling etc. You could get a dedicated transcooler and that would work better than the factory one (if it is built into the radiator.) You could also look into upgrading the intercooler which cools the air going into the engine.

Based on my experience, I think the transcooler is the biggest towing weakness on the expedition. I am not an automatic transmission expert but the temps always seem higher to me than I think it good. I would love to hear from someone more expert in auto transmissions and what ideal temps would be on the ford 10spd. Even without load it seems to run hotter than I am used to with other vehicles I have. This leads me to believe that the transmission is programmed to keep the temp a little higher. The "normal" temp on my expedition seems about 10deg warmer than the "normal" temp on my jeep.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Totally agree with @duneslider . I have always viewed trans coolers as cheap insurance. Adds a bit more capacity and drasitcaly upgrades cooling capacity. Being in the deep South I will take all the cooling I can put my hands on. Especially when dealing with forced induction heat.

Diverdown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Totally agree with @duneslider . I have always viewed trans coolers as cheap insurance. Adds a bit more capacity and drasitcaly upgrades cooling capacity. Being in the deep South I will take all the cooling I can put my hands on. Especially when dealing with forced induction heat.

Yup, me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if your payload was 1926. What’s the yellow sticker say? Thats the actual payload from factory.

For the OP, Expedition’s will run out of Payload before trailer weight. You have to consider what is added to the Expedition and any persons, animals, or items added in your payload calculation. The yellow sticker on the Drivers side has the factory payload number. That only includes full tank of gas, nothing else.

I have an 2019 XLT, with 1670 Payload. I tow a TT thats empty weight was 5050 when purchased. Trailer is about 850 of that. With family, dog, gear, WDH, etc, I only have about 100 pound of payload left.

Agreed, there is NO WAY an Expy has a 1926# payload. The yellow sticker on the driver door jamb tells it all. As stated before, payload will be maxed out WAY before the mythical max towing rating. An XLT will likely have a higher payload than a Platinum everything else being equal because there are fewer "goodies" loading down the vehicle.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How you load things matter... One option is load the trailer with as much gear as possible. and towards the middle/rear of the trailer is best. Keeps weight off the tongue yet balanced

How things are loaded does matter, but about 13% of the trailer weight (camper) needs to be on the tongue or sway will be more likely to occur. There are good videos on YouTube that demonstrate this.

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition Max Limited without the heavy duty towing package. This summer, we would like to buy a travel trailer for the Expedition to haul. The issue is that every travel trailer that would be best for our family is within a hundred pounds of the max towing capacity. I'm concerned this will put strain on the transmission and cause too much heat, especially through a mountain pass or something.
My daughter's family was in the same situation. They did exactly what you suggested (upgraded the radiator and added the trans cooler). I believe it was less than $1,000. They did add an external brake controller, but did not change the rear axle ratio. They towed a +7,500 lbs trailer from MI to Disney World with no issues.

When towing in hilly areas, actively downshift before the engine speed drops off too much and you should be okay.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't seen that anyone has added an additional transcooler on their expedition. I haven't looked really close at locations where this could be added, or which lines to tap into for it. I added one to my jeep years ago and it made a big difference. I really should look into adding one on this but haven't had time to look into it. If anyone goes for it please share what you decide to do and where you put it.

I have wondered if a Derale Heatsink style cooler would be good enough as an adder then it wouldn't have to be put in the front air flow area and block cooling air for everything already there? I haven't used this kind before but I have known a few jeep guys who did use them and seemed to have good luck with them.