People are still very stuck in the old "solid rear axle required" mindset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2020 Lexus LX and GX still has a solid rear. (Think Land Crusier & 4Runner) It is funny ... the media does not blast them for it.

Thats because they are just "Shined-up" Toyota's anyway.....

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone that buys an $80k Expedition planning to do some serious off roading, is a complete idiot.
If you're looking for the beginnings of a rock crawler, then you know enough about fabrication to keep you from starting here.
As far as towing, it's rated for 9k and that's plenty for everything I want to tow.

If someone wants to build a rock crawler but doesn't want to spend megabucks on the vehicle to start with, get a Mahindra Roxor. If they don't want people to know at a glance it's not a Jeep, a 1970's Jeep CJ-7 grille should bolt in place of the Mahindra one. Then they can go crazy bolting on all the Jeep rock crawler parts, onto a new vehicle that's built like a 1970's Jeep, but better.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been impressed by the payload on any of the newer GM or Ford half tons. They have all gotten quite a bit lower as the years go by. More equipment and softer springs I suppose. The Expeditions payload started to tank in the 2015 model year. You can find lots of ‘07-‘14s with 1,800 payload in XLT trim......you’d be hard pressed to find a 15-17 with close to that in an XLT trim.

Last edited:

Michael McC

Reaction score
Its a lot more work to get a IRS suspension setup and working well enough to compete with a solid axle all across the board. You will find limitations in some areas. Articulation will be one, IRS won't be able to match it. Towing is super difficult with IRS also, solid axles will feel more planted especially as the weight goes up and things get windy. I have had a couple wind gusts that caught me off guard and there is a very different feel in the Expedition compared to a solid axle. If I was going to be towing ALL the time I would still want a solid axle I think. Since 99% of my driving is not pulling a trailer it is a trade off I am willing to take. I have towed with a sequoia and I feel the expedition does way better. I do think Ford did a really good job on the expedition.

Offroad isn't a big consideration on an expedition, common, you will run into plenty of issues offroad before the IRS is causing you problems. The thing is huge and not intended to be an offroad monster. A similar size SUV with solid axles would perform better in regards to articulation but for cruising dirt roads the expedition absolutely blows me away how smooth it rides offroad. Unless i am doing rock crawling I am picking my expedition over my wrangler every day.
I pull a 2-horse trailer (3,500 lbs. empty and a lot of windage) with my 2016 Expedition (with 2" lift) quite a bit in wind over 20 mph (usually from 40-50 degrees off front or rear, depending on whether I'm coming or going), at speeds of 70-80 mph. The truck/trailer are solid. If you are having trouble with wind pushing you around, you need more tongue weight.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven’t been impressed by the payload on any of the newer GM or Ford half tons. They have all gotten quite a bit lower as the years go by. More equipment and softer springs I suppose. The Expeditions payload started to tank in the 2015 model year. You can find lots of ‘07-‘14s with 1,800 payload in XLT trim......you’d be hard pressed to find a 15-17 with close to that in an XLT trim.

This is exactly why I bought an 18 Expedition. I wanted the soft springs and cushy ride, as its just a big people mover. I have a 3/4 ton Diesel to do the heavy work, so I'm ecstatic that the Expedition Rides nice and soft. Half tons were never intended to do a lot of work anyway....