This forum is talking me out of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
So am I the jerk for driving a Navigator or my wife for buying it? Lol I think it takes a certain mentality to earn the cash that the ‘fancy’ cars require. I wonder if this is just a case of superior intellect being misunderstood or envied by the lower level hominids.

The article only mentions the German makes so maybe I’m safe.
Slight difference ... if a "jerk" prefers a fancy car, that doesn't mean all people in fancy cars are jerks. Just a prediction of what kind of car a "jerk" will want.

I like having my BEATER and my plush 2014EL. I can switch personalities on any given day.
And depending on my date that night, I have it covered.
"We're going to dinner at a fine Scottish restaurant - McDonalds"

this is all tongue in cheek stuff

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slight difference ... if a "jerk" prefers a fancy car, that doesn't mean all people in fancy cars are jerks. Just a prediction of what kind of car a "jerk" will want.

I like having my BEATER and my plush 2014EL. I can switch personalities on any given day.
And depending on my date that night, I have it covered.

this is all tongue in cheek stuff

Some of the biggest "jerks" in the Washington, DC metro area drive POS crap cars...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same can be said for every auto maker. They all source parts from the same sources. Having said that auto makers the larger ones have more pull to get better quality stuff. Just ask a current Subaru owner or Volvo, Jag owner. Its not pretty
Completely true, look at why the Tacata airbag issues are impacting so many MFR's. Regardless of what label is on a part, they likely all come from the same places.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tourbo's might be great for power and meeting EPA metrics. Can't every see how they would be great for reliability. I am a retired engr and I raced cars for almost decade. Don't won't tourbo's on my passenger car. Lot of heat and pressure. Not good for reliability. Not a fan of the EPA sponsored "Stall/start" systems either. Give me an expedition with a normally aspirated V8 and no Stall/Start. and also an ABS that can't fail all brakes at once. The ABS HCU should have two hydraulic compartments just like the master cylinder. That's the way I would have designed it to avoid the "no brakes" problem that we solved in the late 60s.

This may be true from a mechanical perspective, but I can tell you my parents had a 1987 Subaru with a turbo that last over 10 years and 200K miles, at altitude, without a strong intercooler. Did pretty well.

t_bois

Reaction score
You better look for something that has all the options you want (make a list and prioritize it) and go for it. However, if you just want a ride that will not cost a whole lot to fix, then the more basic, the better/ the newer the better/ the less miles the better/ single owner no accidents are better/ and a clean looking inside means someone didn't mind taking care of things. All that ****/bang stuff on upper end models breaks and costs $$$ to fix (you can't have it all). I expected to spend money on the Expedition I bought, but I also like some of the features you can't get in the other models/makes and unless you are willing to buy something brand new, better have $$$ for the backup plan.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[emoji23] my dad took my two oldest boys to the Scottish restaurant, built it up pretty good that whole day they were out and about. My oldest was pissed! [emoji12]
Apple doesn't fall far!

bret191

Reaction score
I’ll tell you, I’ve had a lot of cars. The nicer they are, the more people let you out in traffic. Same areas, I wear the same clothes. I’m scum in lower end or worn stuff, a king in others. Strange.

One family member keeps a Benz, caddy, etc at all times. Swears cops let you go by more because they don’t know who they are fooling with that will cause them trouble for messing with them. Politics.

I kinda thought something was wrong. Now I know your full of bull!