2021 Tahoe/Suburban being announced today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL..Someone clue in Mike Wolf that Ford just engineered and introduced a brand new 7.3L push rod engine for the Super Duty..
Have no interest in N/A big cube engines because I can tune the ECOBOOST engines to blow there doors off, get better mileage as well & have a lot more torque at higher altitudes
However I would consider the GM units with their 3.0L diesels equipped with the 10spd trans
They are DOHC 4 valve per cylinder in line 6 cyl diesels with common rail injection & as much torque as the 6.2L with much better fuel mileage
Easily reprogrammed for a lot more torque, that engine gets my vote:33:
Here is link for the engine's specs
https://www.wardsauto.com/10-best-e...58ac1f18443796f2e0f1ecddb0f3&utm_source=27869

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have no interest in N/A big cube engines because I can tune the ECOBOOST engines to blow there doors off, get better mileage as well & have a lot more torque at higher altitudes
However I would consider the GM units with their 3.0L diesels equipped with the 10spd trans
They are DOHC 4 valve per cylinder in line 6 cyl diesels with common rail injection & as much torque as the 6.2L with much better fuel mileage
Easily reprogrammed for a lot more torque, that engine gets my vote:33:
Here is link for the engine's specs
https://www.wardsauto.com/10-best-e...58ac1f18443796f2e0f1ecddb0f3&utm_source=27869
Well, it is obvious that you embrace all the technology and like performance and power even if it's in an SUV. I don't see the point for horsepower in an SUV. You may need it but I don't. Rarely have any of my SUVs or trucks ever had a receiver hitch used. I love turbo charged engines but for performance and sport cars. I have had some very fast Buick Regal turbos.
The problem I have with all this current technology is it's not very durable. Of course some of us have a different definition of the word durable. Some would say that durable means an engine last 220000 Mile switch some of these twin turbo 6 cylinders are going to do. So maybe we should qualify or be specific and what I'm eating. If a vehicle goes to 220,000 miles and needs timing chains or both turbo replaced I don't call that durable. So it depends how technically want to get about the definition. So let me say repair free. And also lower maintenance. We all know that diesels are known to require increased maintenance over gasoline but they run many more miles. They typically don't have that many more repairs than gasoline either. I'm not a diesel fan have not owned a lot of diesels but they are better in lots of applications.
The manufacturers have no problems with you having to replace a Turbocharger at 9220 thousand and doing timing sets and cam phasers at 9230 also. People are accepting this as normal. I will not. We went through this crap in the old days with cars needing timing chain replacement by 150000 because of the nylon coated top gears that so many manufacturers use it was pathetic. By around 1992 to 1996 they had perfected the gasoline engine and these engines are going 250,000 miles and never having the valve covers or timing cover off of them. That is what I mean by durable.

I want to own a vehicle like my late 90s and mid-2000s that go 250k without a sweat and still have the original water pump, usually starter, and I've never had so much as a valve cover off nor a valve cover leak.
The only thing I want to see on my list of expenses of owning a vehicle is maintenance like spark plugs and oil changes and tires and a couple of sets of brake pads, a serpentine belt, and and alternator by the time they get slightly over 200,000.
None of these engines should need any actual engine repairs because they already had them all figured out but they have screwed them up with this technology and push for increased horsepower and fuel mileage, and let's go any missions too.
So I don't embrace technology our current technology. I embrace tried-and-true proven old school reliability with super low cost of ownership except for putting a lot of gas into them.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford’s best years of market share in the Expedition were the 2003-2010 range. They used to compete on being the cost effective full size and that was there niche and they sold a lot doing that. As soon as they jacked up prices and tried to compete at the higher price point they lost that battle to GM and they have never recouped. GM is still beating them up in 2019, it’s arguable Ford made a poor business decision jacking up prices as they lost a lot of future annuity through the lost market share too.
How about Ford not doing any major Expedition improvements, for a decade? The 5.4l 3v issues, destroyed the reputation of the Expedition. The V6 only engine option, on new models, turns off buyers.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about Ford not doing any major Expedition improvements, for a decade? The 5.4l 3v issues, destroyed the reputation of the Expedition. The V6 only engine option, on new models, turns off buyers.
I’m happy to have missed the triton engines.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4 in my nav was a decent engine, it wasnt slow by any means and was efficient when asked to be. The tranny would stumble every now and again but it had 150k when i traded it. By all means, the third gens biggest issue was not giving it a larger engine(atleast for navigator) and not upgrading the interior enough. Not like it mattered because the gms dominated (they did look damn good inside and out) the last decade but the ford was a better product, esp from my15 to present. I think the new gms comin nxt yr is gms actual first attempt at making the best full size suv and not relying on reputation.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m happy to have missed the triton engines.
The Triton was...something. I had it in my 2001 F-150. It sounded like a jet engine taking off if you got deep into the gas pedal and made more sound than speed or power. It was reliable...right up until the time it grenaded two exhaust manifolds around 120k miles and I sold it.

The Coyote in my 2012 F150 was more of the same. Lots of noise, really jumpy, not much else. Also reliable right up until it ate two of its cylinders at 50k and the whole thing had to be replaced under warranty.

I am super happy with the EcoBoost. And if it manages to hold itself together it will be a win-win in my book. I liked the V8 but I am much happier with the power and delivery of the V6. It's much zippier and when I punch the go-fast pedal it doesn't sound like it's tearing itself apart the way the Triton and the Coyote did.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the 5.4 3V Triton, stout engine overall esp the short block. They do have known issues for sure. Few of them in my family over the years and all were trouble free (some 200k plus). Aggiegrad you must not be much of an automotive enthusiast, people pay a lot of money for that sound <lol>.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the 5.4 3V Triton, very stout engine overall esp the short block. Few of them in my family over the years and all were trouble free (some 200k plus). Aggiegrad you must not be much of an automotive enthusiast, people pay a lot of money for that sound <lol>.

So how many 3-valve engines have you had that have never had to have any timing chain or cam phaser repairs and had over a hundred and 165k on them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1